There’s something inherently wrong in real estate

When I was in my late 20s, an agent at The William Morris Agency signed the first music act I represented as manager. Despite my experience as a signed artist years earlier, I was a bright shade of green when it came to the intricacies of music business management.

That manager, “JL,” who was to become my mentor and friend, made one thing very clear: One mistake on my part and my act’s career chances could be ruined forever.

He also made an offer: Use the guest desk in his NYC office. Learn from him. Just like he did for two years beside his mentor before he was allowed to make a single decision regarding a client.

A year later, having signed my client to a record deal, I reflected on my internship and its impact on me, my professional development and my contributions to the industry.

Had I not had that training, I may have succeeded anyway. But I wonder how many artists’ careers I would have ruined until I finally got it right.

I think about that a lot.

30 years later

JL and I met up last Saturday night. He was in town on tour with his clients for the last of a three-day festival performance.

We caught up on many things, including the trials and tribulations of his real estate experience, a saga that lasted from 2009-2012.

As an agent in a different industry, he spoke solemnly about the failures of the real estate agents he hired to sell his home. Their puzzling behaviors. Lethargic work ethic. The lack of professionalism.

He found them uncooperative, uninspired and unwilling to try new ideas. They clung to the tried and true methods of selling real estate. He wanted something more aggressive. Modern.

In the meantime, the next chapter of his life sat frozen in time until he could sell that house.

In 2011, he asked me to speak to his agent and offer some marketing advice. I did. I outlined an aggressive plan that went well beyond an open house and listing the home on the MLS.

My words fell on deaf ears. I was a nobody, a non-agent, reciting things his agent had never heard of. What I proposed, they “just don’t do”. Period.

My final recommendation to my friend was to bring in an outside marketing firm from New York, one that specializes in getting properties like his sold. He listened. They went to work. And the home sold.

Over a round of cocktails, JL’s vivid conclusions about real estate people weren’t favorable. He wished there was an alternative.

There’s something inherently wrong in real estate

“The volume of incompetence, laziness, lack of creativity, and overall resistance to new ideas in your industry is staggering.” His words will linger for long time.

If firms like The William Morris Agency were defined by those terms, most of the artists you love today never would have made it. The talent agency business would have died long ago.

If the American auto, medical, airline and legal industries were defined by those terms, the U.S. would be a third-world country.

If our armed forces were defined by those terms, we’d be pledging allegiance to a very different flag.

Moan and groan all you want about the outsiders invading real estate, but every day this industry spits out people like my friend wishing for an alternative.

Sometimes, wishes come true.

My friend’s experience is not isolated. We all know this. Yet no one is taking action to fix it. There’s something very wrong with that.

Last chance

We cannot control the number of agents who enter the industry each day with no skills or training. We can’t seem to stop associations from giving a REALTOR pin to just about anybody.

We take outrageous facts for granted. It’s well known that half of all agents don’t really produce. And we ignore that.

But the reality is they are producing — producing a shadow of disrespect covering the industry.

Stop believing that a business brimming with boneheads who deliver terrible customer experiences isn’t going to hurt us. Look at the facts.

I’d like to see more agents sit at the knee of a mentor. It worked for me.

With the housing market’s prognosis on the uptick, you may have one last chance to right this wrong.

How? Enforce standards. Train newbies before they are ever allowed to touch a deal. Create internships. Residencies. Make continuing education mandatory. Make reviews and ranking mandatory. The list is endless.

Strive to be able to one day proudly say, “100% of our agents attend our company meetings, use our tools and get five-star reviews. And 100% of our past clients return to do business with us.”

When you can say that with full honesty and integrity, you will have found a solution.

39 Responses to “There’s something inherently wrong in real estate”

1. Mary says:

I have been following your blogs for a few weeks now. I want to thank you for your thought provoking topics and content. This one resonates with me. I have been selling real estate for about 9 years now. I love all of the new technology that is out to help us do our job. I run into the same things you listed in this blog entry. There is no one way to succeed in this industry. It accommodates all personality types and styles. However, when it comes to education, and experience, there is no substitute. We really are in an “adapt or die” industry. I prefer to adapt. Thanks for all you do. -Mary

2. Robert Jenson says:

I enjoyed your recent blog post. I felt it was along the similar lines of the “Be Like Jiro” post that Jessica wrote. I actually watched the Jiro documentary and enjoyed it. I agree with you. Not only is there a lack of professionalism, but it’s like people don’t even care or don’t have any pride in what they do.

I think the biggest issue is the barrier to entry. It’s just ridiculously too easy to do loans or real estate. It baffles me that a kindergarten teacher, teaching kids how to color, needs more education and student teaching experience before they can get their own teaching job. That’s for kids coloring!!! Go to real estate school and pass a test and your done in a month! Before the brokerage holds anyone to a hire standard, I think there should be education requirements and some sort of year long school or apprenticeship. Even appraisers have to apprentice for 2 years, I believe, while putting in several thousand hours of training.

I’m not quite sure what happened when it got to agents and lenders. It’s like they just forgot to put any standards in place.

3. Russ Bergeron says:

Good job as usual Marc.

With your link to the Trulia IPO article (facts) do you mean that all I have to do is advertise on Trulia to get my house sold? Or should MLSs go public? Realogy is doing a $1B IPO – just to pay off debt.

4. Norma says:

Hi Marc,
    I couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve been in real estate for over 25 yrs and things have sure changed. The technology has been for the better as Mary stated above. However I think the gist of your article is the work ethic of agents.

Marc, when we work in an industry where the dollar rules, I see little hope for changes. When MLS services, Realtors Associations and Licensing Officials do nothing about agents lack of response (as in no response many of times – not even a call back); Listing properties where no one can see them or access them yet they’re posted & advertised as active (i.e. short sale listings that are not really “listings” they just pretend they are); When we’re in an industry of agents looking at things from scarcity vs there is enough to go around – it is surely sad times in our industry and those of us who truly love it and love helping people.

Until our boards, associations, licensing entities, etc choose the consumer over the might dollar, I regret that our industry as a whole will fail and fade away into obscurity.

And the most ironic thng of it all – many consumers/homerowners/buyers continue to work and give work to these type of agents… all I can say it that it is absurd!

Robert – they simply replaced standards for $$$$

Marc, I love your blogs. You pull no punches ~ just maybe this will make a difference :)

5. Seth Siegler says:

I always think about all of the things that agents do on a daily basis of which they have not received any formal training for. Things like marketing, negotiation, conflict resolution, financial investment advice, etc.

While some select brokerages excel in actually providing useful training, the majority of agents only receive real training in how to fill out a contract. (and even that gets messed up sometimes)

It’s pretty crazy to think that back in my agent days, when I first got my real estate license, people hired me to market their home effectively, negotiate on their behalf and advise them on a future investment. I had no education or experience in any of those areas and like almost all agents learned as I went along. But I knew how to fill out contracts!

Something is definitely wrong with that picture.

6. Norma says:

Seth,
    So true. I remember my first contract – no on the job training -nothing. It took me over an hr sweating to fill it out and I think back then the purchase contract was 2-4 pages and no disclosures like we have now.
    However that experience made me want to learn all the contract paperwork front and back. To this day I make it so that I know of all the changes in contract paperwork and how that applies to our marketplace and to the seller and buyer.
    You’d be amazed to see what I get from agents both new and licensed over 25 yrs – the paperwork is enough to scare you to death let alone try to dechiper what exactly is being offered and what the terms are – it’s crazy. No wonder our E&O insurance premiums continue to skyrocket.
    * On previous post – please excuse the sp? errors – typing too fast :)

7. ryan says:

Marc,
    Great stuff and one of the better articles (in my opinion) that you have written. A colleague and I were talking about this very topic last night. We as an industry need to unite and change things for the better. I am so tired of hearing agents and brokers bitch about Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, and the whole syndication debate. If we as an industry were on our game, these sites wouldn’t be relevant. Look no further than yourself, your broker, and the boards, mls’s. We are so wrapped up in symptoms and ignoring the disease.
    It is really sad when one of the biggest economic engines of our country (housing) is run by a bunch of self serving dinosaurs that are concerned more with self preservation than they are with the their members, and ultimately the consumer.

8. Lani Rosales says:

You and I have spoken on this topic before, and I have long advocated for apprenticeships/internships/required mentoring, and here we are years later in the same spot.

It won’t happen under the current model, which is exactly where we agree – there is something wrong with real estate. If it were set up like traditional businesses with a traditional hierarchy and salaries, this would all be a different story, in my opinion.

9. Hilary Stokes says:

I agree that the standards of agents should be raised, associations need to raise fees to weed out the part timers, etc. I love change. It can’t happen soon enough for me.

However, I’m curious to know more about the kinds of creative marketing strategies that were mentioned to try and sell your friend’s house. I read a lot of blogs and try to stay as current as possible on new ideas to sell property faster and for more money. My clients are my priority.

My frustration is with the lack of detail. I read a lot about how horrible agents are, but other than “they weren’t professional” or “they didn’t try” I don’t really understand the situation and don’t know what people want or expect, so I can’t learn from it. When I have these conversations in person I try to learn more details about why someone hates their agent. Most of the time they don’t have a specific reason and it comes down to poor communication on both sides. The one agent that didn’t show up b/c he was hungover – that one is specific and a good reason to fire him.

For those agents who are professional, responsive, ambitious and pro-active – what can we learn from your friend’s situation? What was the activity that finally sold the house? In my market, houses are selling this year that have been sitting since 2009. If you ask me, the reason is that buyers finally entered the market and sellers have finally realized that they need to adjust their prices. There are so many moving pieces in real estate. I’m really curious to know if you can specifically tie the sale of your friend’s house to the activity of the new firm.

10. Andy Sentgeorge says:

There are a few agents that get it.

The biggest problem we run into is the low-value expectations of the general public. I’d like to hear a little more about JL’s process for choosing an agent…

Thanks in part to 1000watt, we are building a great brand on just the things you’ve mentioned. Thanks for setting the bar that much higher! We can all use the nudge!

11. Mark says:

Let me play Devil’s advocate for just a second (hard to do since I really like the idea of an apprenticeship or mentoring):

What if the mentor is an idiot? Unethical? Stuck in the past? Lazy? Incompetent?

12. Bob Watson says:

Excellent storytelling Marc. You are a master….now, like Hilary I want to know 3 things: What exactly was included in your aggressive marketing plan; what did the NY firm do to market the home; was there a real estate agent involved in the closing?

13. Teresa Boardman says:

These types of articles are not at all helpful. There are no specifics. I for one resent ““The volume of incompetence, laziness, lack of creativity, and overall resistance to new ideas in your industry is staggering.” – honestly as someone who is an agent and elf employed I have to be very creative and work hard to make a living. I am different than my friends with jobs who get paid for going to work. I only get paid when I sell a home and only after if closes. Anyone who “hires” me doesn’t have to pay me until I perform. as for office meetings I quickly learned that the new ideas in this industry come from the agents not the experts and vertianly note the managers of real estate companies.

It is so easy to say we are all lazy and unimaginative and it is so untrue.

• Marc Davison says:

Teresa,

You seem to think I wrote this about you. You’re spot on. I did. And I did for a reason – I’ve found it all too easy for people make slanderous, overarching, global statements about an industry and its people based on their personal experiences with a few. It’s unfair and wrong. That’s why wrote this piece. These perceptions exist. You can chose to turn a blind eye to it but you are not the only agent in America. Of the million members of NAR, some do not service people like you do. Some are merely practicing on consumers as is customary for new agents to do. I’m suggesting something more be done than simply acknowledging that a problem exists in hopes of improving the perceptions people – some people, enough people – have about agents.

But you are completely entitled to disagree.

14. Sano Stante says:

Marc,
    We have developed a system that rewards brokerages for hiring as many agents as possible and yet we all sing the same rhetoric that we want to raise the bar in the industry.
    This shift can only happen when we change the carrot from rewarding Brokerages for the number of agents they hire, to rewarding Brokerages for the services they provide to Agents. This will require a change in most jurisdictions to “single level licensing” where each agent holds their own license and is not required to join a brokerage (who holds it for them). Now the Brokerage which provides the best services, efficiency, brand and reputation gets the most agents, and only then will our system change for the better. When you move the carrot you change the system.
    In all my years in ORE, whenever any initiative comes forward that moves in this direction it is blocked by the brokers at the table, so we need to overcome – or more succinctly that Brokerages need to overcome this challenge and move off this old business model. They need to give (a bit of) it up today for a sustainable and profitable business model tomorrow. Not unlike what the public is demanding of Agents: I want real value; don’t make me work with you because I have to work with you (you own the listings or mls – or my license).
    I firmly believe that this single issue is the leverage point that will make raise the bar in our industry.
    Cheers,
    Sano

15. Teresa Boardman says:

Marc I know you did not write it about me. It is about most agents and I am an agent. I am not blind to what you are saying and strongly encourage consumes to research individual agents and get references. I would discourage them from choosing a brand because most agents are independent contractors and brands are about brokerages and brokerages do not sell real estate. With that siad it isn’t clear to me exactly what it is that some of us are doing wrong and to be honest I can only improve my own performance not someone else’s.

• Marc Davison says:

Actually, what the post is about is one person’s impression of agents. However, we all can safely assume this perception isn’t isolated to that one person. It is a shared perception.

This isn’t about what great agents are doing wrong, though I think I could have been more succinct in my purpose here.

This post is about the acceptance of the fact that there are agents operating within the industry that create this overarching perception. It’s not one or two bad apples in the bunch. The reality is, the number of unskilled, uncooperative agents in real estate is a staggering percentage of the overall agent count. I believe something needs to be done about that.

I’ve seen stats from CAR surveys that point to the #1 way people choose their agent – it’s usually the first one they come in contact with. I do not know why that is but it’s alarming for sure. Consumers need to take more responsibility for their choices.

But what if there is this belief amongst consumers that all agents are the same?

Of course they aren’t. But if they all look the same, market the same, present similar listing presentations and make the same promises with no differentiation in value proposition because they’ve all attended the same seminars, rehearsed and memorized the same scripts, get the same Websites from the same template vendors, it’s hard to blame consumers. Unless someone has a prior relationship with an agent they love and trust, to many people all Realtors agents are the same. The good and the great are folded in with the mediocre and bad.

Compound that with the years of NAR messaging that hammers home the notion that all REALTORS answer to a higher authority and level of commitment – a statement that is quite creative by itself.

I see these things as the very problems that create confusion in the marketplace and something that brokers specifically can and should be addressing for their sake, the industry’s sake and for the sake of great agents who get lumped into the stereotype.

I’m simply trying to light a fuze here and hopefully motivate brokers to try harder, train harder, discipline harder and focus on helping people more than just closing deals.

I am not trying to attack every agent in real estate.

• Mike Hickman says:

Thank you Marc; for the incredibly right on point of view to the responses provided to agents who lack the vision to clearly understand our industry. It is time for a shift and the leaders who can provide the necessary vision and leadership, communicate it well and live it. They will surely be the leaders in the industry and recognized by the public as leaders and risk takers who changed the industry.

Thank you for cranking up the thought process, now we can see who is actually an innovator. Thanks again, friend.

16. Michelle Poccia says:

L-O-V-E …LOVE this, Marc!
    Back in 1990 when I got my RE license, my broker, who believed that I was a “natural” for RE sales, told me I could pick any office space in the building. I chose the office exactly across the hall from the top producer in our office, and for the whole area for that matter. I would sit and listen to her on the phone, watch how she and her assistant worked together, I would pretend to be doing something, all the while I was spying on her. Eventually, conversation started and I told her that I was learning so much from being across the hall from her. She was so flattered that she began to call me in and let me be party to conversations that she was having about certain deals, etc. The next thing I knew, we were lunch buddies, and eventually she invited me to go to “sales conference” with her in Palm Springs. She was my mentor for three years…and she did not get paid for doing it…I asked her once why she was being so helpful to my career…and she said that she had selfish reasons, she did it so that there would be someone else in the office who knew what the hell they were doing. That our office was full of idiots..that our broker would just scoop people up and bring them in and watch them sink or swim…she was not the manager of the office…just a mega agent who cared deeply that others be taught HOW to really work and behave in real estate sales. She took the time to teach me. We were in the same office, yet competed for the same business (small college town=same connections).
    I was very lucky. (I later moved to NY and she opened up her own real estate offices!)
    As a result, I have always been open to helping other agents along the way. Answering questions, giving opinions about RE matters, mediating relationships among fellow agents, stepping up to the plate in leadership positions, etc.
    Guess it all depends on “how you were raised” in this business.
    I hang ALL of the problems with “misguided, uneducated, unethical, dishonest, bad behavior filled” agents out there torturing other agents and above all, the consumers, on brokers/owners. The fanchises with their fierce need to have more agents on their roster than any other franchise in the universe have whipped these brokers/owners into bringing in way too many ding dongs.
    I LOVE when I hear that a manager turned an agent loose due to lack of production, or unethical behavior. I would love to see managers all show this kind of muscle. (of course, the “I could give a shit” manager down the street will just take the homeless ding dong in to pump up their numbers! —AND they will toot their horn about their great “catch” via recruiting emails and in the “business news” section of any paper that will pick up their press release! )
    AHHH !!!
    Thanks for making me think about all of this stuff today.
    Your fan,
    Michelle Poccia

17. Michael Sosnowski says:

Marc, I agree with your overall position – and that of most of the agents who have posted comments. Some things I would like to add:

1. I get personally frustrated when consumers select agents who do not bring anything to the table – no new thinking and even more offending is not doing the basics well. Then these same consumers will complain about the person they selected – without proper due diligence.

2. Most education in this industry, especially when it comes to marketing, is so primitive. On many levels it is down-right insulting (unless you have no business or marketing experience). The end result is thousands of agents all doing the same mediocre job. Big agencies are the primary offenders…..they create seminars, websites,training – that is all so basic and simplistic that if I was a consumer I would throw those agents out of my house.

3. I do agree with Hilary about talk about all the magical marketing plans. So often they are vague and nebulous. How about sharing these? I would love to see a group of agents across the country, who are really (and I mean really) doing special things get together to share. My experience is that most such gathering only scratch the surface and don’t really address specific details.

4. A new generation needs to take over local MLS Boards. I live in ME and just got a survey from our board about what they are considering for their annual “strategic plan”. Just the questions themselves indicated that they really don’t have a clue about the competitive environment we face.

5. BTW, I did make the changes you suggested to our monthly newsletter – thanks!

18. Marc Davison says:

Dear readers,

I appreciate all your comments both in favor of the post and not in favor. They all have merit.

I also appreciate your contributions in terms of ideas. They serve the greater need of creating conversation around this sensitive issue.

Regarding the many requests here to publish the marketing plan I created in 2011 let me be clear about this. It was something that took me several days and it was based on the particular home in question listed at many millions of dollars located in a very private place in California that was designed to respect the privacy of the seller and still promote the property.

In other words that was a customized plan I put together for one of my oldest and best friend and his agent. It was not meant to public display or to share with anyone because the plan was specific to his home and his agent.

Also, since this post is not about the plan, publishing it means finding it which will take time and if I can’t it means trying to conjure it all up again. To do this is just not feasible.

You might think I am holding back not wanting to share my work. If that’s your thought, you don’t know me very well.

If you think I referenced a plan I never wrote, then this must be my first blog post you’ve read.

The 1000watt blog contains 5 year worth of transparency and ideas that we have given real estate that should convince you otherwise.

In the spirit of that, here’s a quick context of what I offered:

A detailed storyboard to a very specific time lapse video on the property and a distribution strategy for the final cut.

A detailed list of of the property portals this listing should be syndicated to that went well beyond Zillow, Trulia and RDC. Bear in mind, there are hundred of search portals that serve other countries.

A translation of the property details in 13 distinct languages given the knowledge I have about where big real estate money is coming from, how they search, where they search and how to greet them in their languages.

A set of affiliations they should join both here and overseas that would position this listing in tandem with these luxury groups for massive, world wide exposure.

A very specific social media component built around the property as well as the specific community the home was located in.

A way to greet interested parties and tour them around the property. In other words shoving a family from Dubai into the back of the agents Lexus to bring them to this 10,000 sq ft home on 17 acres that sits on a 300-year old homestead replete with a Hacienda, a Golf Course, stables and insane wild life running around, doesn’t cut it. I was thinking paying for private plane to pick them up from the major city airport and flying them into the small local airport and picking them up in a limo should be considered given the commission that would have come in on this home. Yes, that went over the top. But there seemed to be no middle ground they would meet on.

And on and on.

But gang, don’t fixate on the marketing plan. This is about the perception about agents that plays to a stereotype that I believe is unjust supported by the collection of bad experiences and the agents who supply them across all price points in real estate.

You can blame the consumer for making bad choices and you’d be right. But being right doesn’t get you anywhere. Making it easier for consumers to make the right choices by decreasing the amount of unskilled, unprofessional agents that allow the great ones to elevate in numbers gets you everywhere.

Including more business for you.

That’s where I hope the conversation can stay focused on although where ever it goes works for me.

Sorry for typos. I raced to write this out of respect to your questions and comments.

Marc

19. J. Philip Faranda says:

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, a huge percentage of people who decry their agent’s poor standards and work ethic are the same people who list with the Little League coach, their neighbor, or the mothball agency in their hamlet for fear that if they don’t they’ll be ignored. These people need to be educated as to what questions to ask of their agent prior to making a hiring decision. This is where NAR has let the public down, making them think that anyone with an “R” on their lapel is as good as any other. Even then, many of these consumers would still sell if they would just get realistic about their price.

On the other hand, professional standards in our industry are laughable. Getting licensed is easy. The brokers who most need to be educated on the shifting sands of change are exempt from continuing education. And the apprenticeship/mentoring you refer to is a pipe dream. Successful licensees learn marketing and the avoidance of liability, seldom true advocacy. And in their wake consumers on whose backs they cut their teeth.

Good question. How many deals does the average agent screw up before they get their wings. The answer lies with brokers and managers that care enough to train, oversee, and maintain high standards, and they are rare.

• Marc Davison says:

I agree Michael about the poor choices consumers make. But as I’ve asserted in an earlier comment, it’s often tough for consumers to see through the hyperbole.

The problem could be solved with data the public can access about an agents track record and performance. Bob Hale attempted to provide that to Houston consumers and the content lived 48 before it was taken down.

Seems to me, providing a list of sales, where they took place, how much homes sold in comparison to list price, etc., would go a long way towards helping people make more accurate choices. And if real estate adopted a ratings systems and made it mandatory, that would help as well.

Seems to me, everything needs to be done to help the consumer, provide transparency all in the name of improving everyone’s chances to have a better real estate experience.

• Drew Meyers says:

“Seems to me, providing a list of sales, where they took place, how much homes sold in comparison to list price, etc., would go a long way towards helping people make more accurate choices. ”

Zillow or Trulia are going to nail this at some point. The Virtual Sold Sign program at Zillow back in was attempting to get at this exact scenario in 2007 (http://www.zillow.com/blog/pro/2007-11-14/introducing-virtual-sold-sign-program-for-brokerages/)…no clue if revamping/improving it is something near the top of Z’s priority list though.

• Marta Walsh says:

I’m not sure about a mandatory rating system for agents. Some consumers just aren’t inclined to give feedback.

I would, however, love to see a ratings system for listings within my MLS. Where listings can be rated for accuracy, quality of descriptions, quality of photo’s etc. Thereafter listings can be sorted by quality giving advantage to agents producing the best product.

Our MLS is not very collaborative from the point of view the only feedback currently on a listing is to report a violation.

With 1000′s of agent constantly viewing the listings and even visiting the properties in person it seems like a big waste of manpower not to have some system to rate and provide feedback.

Maybe agents only uploading 2 pictures on a listing would start to connect the dots if their listings were constantly struggling to show up because of a low quality rating.

• Drew Meyers says:

“agents only uploading 2 pictures on a listing would start to connect the dots if their listings were constantly struggling to show up because of a low quality rating.”

It’s really sad sellers aren’t smart enough to fire their agent instantly if there are only 2 photos uploaded for the property.

20. Marc says:

It’s unfortunate Drew that sellers aren’t smart enough. I’d like to encourage all Realtors to do the right thing and be “the smart” for those sellers.

21. John MacArthur says:

This is no place for a rant. Your observations are correct.Those that believe only agents should criticize agents should be limited to only selling homes to agents. Consumers do have a bad taste in their collective mouths. They should. It only takes one agent to drag a transaction to the finish line. The other agent can be incompetent, incorrigible, lazy or just a waste of space. When the transaction is complete, there is no avenue for complaint. Brokers are all butt buddies and refuse to take another broker’s agent to task.
    When we went through our “market correction” aka the real estate crash, many agents left the industry. Skill and competence had nothing to do with the survivors. They just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
    If anything drives good agents out of the industry, it would be the stress created by those that do not do their job and make a mockery of the profession.
    The NAR has been, is now and always will be a sham. The designation Realtor that they promote is merely bought and paid for by any with a license.

22. Lee Forbes says:

Zillow or Trulia are going to nail this at some point but There are a few agents that get it now, for those agents who are professional, responsive, ambitious and pro-active

23. Greg Fischer says:

Marc, I really enjoyed this post. And I dont ever take personal offense to posts like these that point out deficiencies in our industry. It gives us a talking point. Thanks for spurring the conversations.

In this example, we were talking about a home that was worth several million dollars. A unique niche market. I think it would be fascinating to hear your thoughts in the realm of the bread and butter market. The $100-$300k range. Because it is different and more common.

I have my own ideas on this. I just think it would be valuable to hear your thoughts too, which could spur more valuable discussion.